Main Bicycle Wheel Parts
- Hub – the center of the wheel, consists of axle, bearings, and hub shell.
- Hub Shell - part of the hub; attachment point for bicycle spokes.
- Axle - attached to dropouts on the bicycle fork or the frame.
- Rim - hoop-like structure at the edge of the wheel, in which the tire rests.
- Spokes - attached to the bicycle rim and to the hub; helps to keep the wheel's strength.
Did you know...?
Although the advent of flat protection technology has ensured that clincher tires are very resilient to punctures and tears, many riders agree that tubular tires are less susceptible to punctures because of their higher tire pressure.
Why bother get to know all the bicycle wheel parts? well, like any other bicycle parts, the more you know the higher the chances are that you get what you need when you go shopping for a new bicycle! For instance, if a salesman is attempting to justify the cost of high-priced wheels by suggesting that they have bladed aluminum spokes and better bearings, will you know what does it means?
A Note on Purchasing Bicycle Wheels
When you are looking for your next set of bicycle wheels, there are a few things you will want to consider.
- Bicycle wheels come in different sizes. Make sure that the wheels you are buying will fit your bike.
- Secondly, wheels are able to accommodate either clincher or tubular tires. Make sure you are buying the right wheels for the tires you are using.
- Lastly, the rear wheel will have a cassette to allow a choice of different bicycle gears. This cassette will be made by a specific maker, and may only be compatible with a specific brand of derailleur and chain. For example, a cassette made by Shimano will not be compatible with a Campagnolo bicycle chain and derailers, and vice-versa.
If you are not sure what brand of components you have on your bike, make sure you bring your bike with you to the bike shop when buying new wheels.
Where to Buy Bicycle Wheel Parts?
If you are interested in buying bicycle wheel parts, such as hubs, rims and spokes, you can buy them in one of these trusted online stores:
Buying Bicycle Wheel Parts on eBay