Find a bicycle roller trainer Online
Bicycle roller trainers are unique: they do not hold the bike in some way, and their structure is not similar to any other “regular” bicycle training stand.
What Are Roller Trainers?
A typical roller trainer is a horizontal metal frame that is holding three rollers: while spinning, the bicycle rear wheel is in contact with the rear two rollers, and they supply the required resistance. The front roller is supporting the front wheel. On some roller stands, there is no front roller: Instead, there is a stand that is supporting the front fork (after the front wheel has been removed).
The Cycling Experience
As with all other bicycle indoor training stands, you are using your regular bike: you are sitting on your selected saddle and holding your comfortable handlebars. With bicycles, rollers stand the feeling is even more similar to riding regular bikes. As a result of how the bike is positioned on the roller, the cyclist can expect a very realistic cycling experience.
Since your bicycle is unsupported by a stand (unlike any other bicycle training stands), your full cycling skills are required to keep your bicycle balanced. Just bear in mind that there is a small learning curve: it might take some time to get to use the roller trainer, and you might feel unsafe. This feeling will soon turn out to be an exciting and enjoyable experience!
Tip: Use your roller trainer with caution!
Using a roller trainer is a great way to practice spinning in the comfort of your home, but still it is not without a risk: If you don't keep up a steady rhythm and maintain stability on your roller trainer, you will fall off your bike.
The plus point is, with a roller indoor trainer you can place some crash mats or exercise mats next to the trainer so you won't hurt yourself if you take a tumble!
Bicycle Roller Trainer Pros and Cons
- Good for balance and techniques - Roller trainers are best for practicing cycling balance and pedaling and riding techniques.
- Free movement - Unlike any other bicycle indoor training stands your bicycle is free to move, resulting more realistic feeling and less stress on the bike.
- Fast and easy setup - No need to connect your bike to a stand.
- Variable resistance - Some models have variable resistance, to get even more realistic cycling experience.
- Good for endurance - As in most cases resistance is fixed, the roller trainer is best for endurance, long rides.
- Some safety issues - At first there is a risk that you will loose your balance, and crash off the roller.
- Less "multi tasking" - As the bicycle roller trainer requires more concentration in compare with other bicycle indoor training stands it leaves less room for other tasks.
- Limited resistance - Most roller trainers have only limited or no resistance. Your training is limited.
- High noise levels - Due to their structure the roller trainers are more noisy than the other ordinary bicycle indoor training stands.
What to Look For in Roller Trainers
When buying a bicycle roller trainer I would recommend to look for the following features
- Type of roller drum - Quality drums (such as PVC roller drums) will give you a smoother ride and will last more.
- The size of the drums - Different drums sizes will give you different cycling feeling.
- Is it foldable? - For an easy storage and transportation, make sure the trainer is foldable.
- The frame - Make sure the frame is made of quality materials.
- Roller width - Make sure the trainer is wide.
- Foot pads - Ensure there are quality foot pads so that the roller will not slide on the floor.
- Adjustable roller drums - To ensure that the trainer can accommodate a variety of wheel sizes.
- Resistance - Some hi-end trainers have several resistance levels.
- Warranty Look for a lifetime warranty.
Recommended Roller Trainers
Buying a Roller Trainer Online
If you are interested in buying roller trainer online you can buy it in one of these trusted online stores:
If you are looking for a bicycle trainer to improve your riding techniques and balance, then the roller bicycle trainer is just for you. If you are looking for bicycle trainer for fitness, then you better take a look at some other types of bicycle indoor training stands.