|No "Li-Ion Battery" (All condition) found on eBay(US)|
Find an electric bicycle battery Online
Electric bicycle battery is a key component of any e-bike. There are four major types of batteries in use on electric bicycles:
- Led-Acid (SLA = Sealed Led Acid) Battery
- Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd) Battery
- Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) Battery
- Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) Battery
Amps, Volts and Watts
Before we start diving into details about each electric bicycle battery, it is important to understand the theory beyond their electric characteristics.
- Volts - Battery is built from cells. Each cell produces a given Voltage (ex: Li-Ion cell is capable to produce 3.7V. When combining 10 cells we get a 37V Li-Ion battery).
- Watts - Batteries produces flow of electrons. The "strength" of the flow is measured by Watts - The result of multiplying the current (Amps) by the Voltage. In most countries electric bicycles that their motor exceeds a specific power (Watt) is not legal. Read more about electric bicycle laws.
- Capacity - The capacity of the battery is measured by Power x Time (Watt-Hour - the total number of Watts the battery can produce in once charge). Batteries are ranged between 100Wh to 1000Wh.
- Amp x Hour - Most maker will measure battery capacity using Ah (Amp x Hour). Only when comparing batteries that have the same Volt, the Ah value has a meaning.
- Power Density - It is easy to built a high capacity battery. the problem is how to make is LIGHT!. Power density measures just that - How much power (Wh) the battery has per kilo (or Libra).
Electric Bicycle Battery Characteristics
Here are some important points to remember
- Efficiency drop - Most batteries will loose their efficiency over time. This is mainly true with Led-Acid and Lithium-Ion batteries.
- Operating temperature - Batteries have optimal operating temperature, which is typically room temperature. When charging or operation batteries outside of their temperature "comfort zone", their efficiency will drop.
- Limited charges - Unlike fuel tanks that can be filled unlimited times, with batteries the number of charges is limited
- Overcharge - Batteries may be damaged or their life will be shortened if over-charged. Modern batteries are typically protected by a control unit that is placed inside of outside of the battery.
- Over discharge - Most batteries will have their life shortened when over-discharged. (Li-Ion will stop working in this event). It is your and the controller responsibility to avoid over-discharge.
- Cost - Batteries are expensive. In most cases the price of the electric bicycle battery is 25% to 50% of the total bicycle price. Take good care of the battery, and follow the manufacturer instructions.
- Safety issues - Last, there is a severe safety issue with batteries: Never shortcut the poles, Never dismantle the battery cells, do not expose to severe temperatures of high humidity.
Did you know...?
Did you know that your batteries charge less efficiently at colder temperatures?
Chilly weather prevents your battery from reaching its maximum voltage, so do try to charge your electric bicycle battery indoors in the winter instead of out in the garage. You'll get more mileage per charge this way.
Electric Bicycle Battery Types
|Power density||25 Wh/Kg||50 Wh/Kg||70 Wh/Kg||90~100 Wh/Kg|
|Summary||Rear (Heavy)||Quite rear||Quite rear||Common|
Main Electric Bicycle Batteries
Led-Acid (SLA = Sealed Led Acid) Batteries
If you are not planning on carrying the bicycle by hand, or on an intense use of your e-bike, than using a Lead acid battery might be your best choice.
Another advantage of this advanced type of battery is the increased number of charges ("cycles") - up to 1500 (more than three times the cycles of a Lead acid battery).
In most electric powered bicycles the battery can be a disconnect from the bike, to allow a remote charge, or just to make the bicycle lighter, in case you want to use it as a regular, pedal-driven bicycle.
Some think that it is possible to produce electricity while riding. The answer is yes, and no... Theoretically, it is possible, however practically, due to the built-in inefficiency of the process, you will have to work much harder pedaling to generate power that will allow only a short distance ride. Life is tough...
Where to Buy Bicycle Storage Devices?
If you are interested in buying bicycle storage devices, such as bicycle storage sheds, bicycle covers, bicycle stands and alike, you can buy them in one of many online stores, such as: