The cycling health benefits have provided more and more people with the opportunity to change and improve their quality of life completely.
This fun and revitalizing way to workout frees you from having to join a gym, take a class, or buy a ton of equipment.
Bike riding is an activity that the entire family can enjoy and provides an incredibly convenient way to add more fitness to your life.
Whether you have a specific place to be, or if you just feel like going for a ride, you can jump on anytime and take off!
Just a Few of the Many Cycling Health Benefits
- Lose Excess Pounds – It is very common to take up bicycling to shed extra weight and keep it off. This is a great strategy, as riding a bike regularly can boost your metabolism and help you burn about 500 calories per hour.
- Feel Happier – One of the more surprising and overlooked cycling health benefits is that riding a bike can improve your mental health. Riding regularly can reduce stress and decrease signs of anxiety and depression.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health – Bicycling is strongly linked to improved heart health. Like other aerobic exercises, cycling can lower your resting heart rate, help you control your blood pressure, and reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
- Strengthen Muscles – Riding a bike can also make you a lot stronger, giving you powerful muscles in the lower half of your body. Biking can also help you strengthen your core, and steering helps to work your upper body.
- Increased Stamina – The longer you stick with cycling, you will find that your stamina and endurance will increase, making day-to-day activities less taxing.
- Improved Immune System – Biking bolsters the immune system, reducing the risk that you catch a cold.
Did you know...?
Did you know that regular cycling improves sleep quality?
In a widely-publicized study, researchers from the Stanford University School of Medicine put insomniacs through a daily cycling regime.
With just 30 minutes of cycling a day, the insomniacs slept an hour longer each night. If you're having trouble getting some shut-eye, cycling might be the solution you've been looking for.
Biking Versus Running
You might be thinking that the cycling health benefits sound an awful lot like those that you would enjoy from running. This is true, except that biking is a lot safer for your joints. Cycling can be a little rough on your knees, but jogging puts pressure on your knees, hips, and ankles, as you pound the pavement over and over. Even with the best shoes, running can be very stressful for your joints.
Biking Versus All Other Sports
While all sports provide you with benefits, bicycling for health reigns supreme for many reasons. For example, it is:
- Cost efficient
- Possible to do anywhere
- Easy on the joints
- Enjoyable for people of all ages and fitness levels
- Useful, as many people like commuting by bicycle
- Versatile, as there are many different types of cycling
Did you know...?
Did you know that cycling is much easier on the joints than running?
Constantly pounding the pavements when you are jogging puts a lot of stress on your ankles, knees and hips in the long run. In comparison, cycling tends to be a little hard on your knees, but is still a much more injury-free sport than running!
Books about Cycling Health Benefits
For more information, there are some informative books about cycling and its health benefits. You can find them on several online book stores.
Last Word About The Cycling Health Benefits
The cycling health benefits alone should be enough to make you want to start pedaling. The fact that cycling can be enjoyable, especially with friends, can keep you in the seat for many years. If you are still not convinced, here you can find even more information about the cycling benefits.