Until recently my other job had brought me again and again to Zurich, almost twice a month. Each visit was for about a day or two. Out of my hotel in Orelikon there is a bike rental box.
One day my friend and I decided to rent two bikes and to travel from Orelikon to downtown Zurich. At that time we couldn’t know that this trial will make our and our colleagues future stays in Zurich much different then what it was untill then.
Biking in Zurich is without a doubt the best way to see the sights that the Swiss capital city has to offer. Each year, Zurich’s lovely European architecture, majestic Alpine scenery and numerous outdoor activities draw millions of tourists to its streets. If you’re intending to join them, you should really give serious thought to joining a cycling tour during your trip. No matter what time of the year you visit, cycling in Zurich is guaranteed to be a top-notch tourist experience.
Why Cycle in Zurich?
- No visit to Zurich will ever be complete without exploring Switzerland’s renowned natural landscapes. If you want to experience the great outdoors on your Swiss vacation, what better way to do it then on bicycle? You’ll be able to see more with your limited time while enjoying the fresh alpine air and spectacular scenery.
Easy Bicycle Rental
- For those biking in Zurich with a local tour guide, your tour operator will definitely have plenty of bicycles for you to choose from.
- Even if you decide to venture out on your own, bike rental companies are located all over the city and offer well-maintained bicycles at very reasonable prices. Some of the more popular ones include Rent a Bike, conveniently located at the city’s primary train station and Bike Switzerland Rentals where high-end mountain bikes may be found.
Guided Cycling Tours in Zurich
If you don’t want the hassle of researching and planning your own cycling trip, you can just join one of the many exciting tours organized by local tour operators.
Tip: Get fit before biking in Zurich!
Zurich is consistently voted one of the world's most picturesque cities because it is located in a valley. The majestic Swiss Alps and rolling green hills are spectacular indeed. However, that gorgeous undulating landscape means you're likely to be cycling over quite a few hills during your cycling holiday.
If you're used to cycling on flat terrain, it's time to start practicing uphill cycling to get your fitness up. Stair-climbing will definitely help too!
You'll be accompanied by a friendly professional tour guide who will provide fascinating information about the sights you'll be seeing along the way, helping you better appreciate the history and geography of this beautiful city. The guide will also help to ensure your safety while biking in Zurich by keeping you on designated cycling paths to make sure you don't get lost or run over by a car.
The most popular cycling tour in Zurich is known as the "LittleBigCity Welcome to Zurich" biking tour run by Top Trek. With the help of the company's acclaimed tour guides, you'll soon get to know every little nook and cranny of Switzerland's capital city and view all of the city's major sights as well. These include the city's historic centre, populated by many centuries-old buildings, Zurich's world-famous public parks such as Arboretum and Platzspitz and the breathtakingly Limmat and Sihl rivers. A lot of thought and planning has gone into making the tour route as traffic-free as possible so you'll be able to cycle safely and proceed at a comfortable pace with unnecessary hold-ups or distractions.
Self-Guided Cycling Tours in Zurich
Of course, the more intrepid explorers may wish to go biking in Zurich on their own. You'll have the freedom to wander out of the city and explore the many scenic areas in Zurich's vicinity. Naturally, that means you'll have to plan your itinerary very meticulously.
Cycling to Uetliberg
- Experienced mountain bikers may want to try cycling up Uetliberg, Zurich's most famous mountain. The route is of medium difficulty, but you'll find that the effort expended is well worth it once you get to the top of the hill. Uetliberg offers unparalleled views of Zurich and the Swiss Alps and shutterbugs out there will have a blast photographing the scenery.
- Getting to Uetliberg is easiest by train and a regular train service runs between Zurich's main railway station and Uetliberg station. You can buy your tickets at http://www.zvv.ch/de/. For your own convenience, it's best that you research the optimal mountain biking route before actually embarking on your trip at http://www.routeyou.com/route/view/85920/cycle-route-uetliberg-short.en.
Zurich - Regensdorf - Würenlos - Baden route
- This route is popular with independent travelers and takes you through some of Switzerland's prettiest small towns. You can get away from the hustle and bustle of the capital and enjoy a more laidback and rural atmosphere.
- Baden is very well known in the region for its splendid thermal baths which are perfect for some rest and relaxation after a grueling day of non-stop cycling.
- This route is better suited to recreational cyclists because it involves little uphill cycling and there are plenty of helpful road signs along the route to help point you in the right direction.
Take a look at these photos during our bicycling tours at and around Zurich:
Last Word about Biking in Zurich
Zurich is one of my favorite cities in Europe and it's even better when seen on bicycle. Millions of tourists agree that the city is simply built for cycling. Give it a try!
Books About Biking in Zurich
More information about biking in Zurich can be found on several informative books. Take a look at these selected books: