Find a bicycle rim trainer Online
If you are a mountain biker who is looking for a reliable bicycle indoor training stand than the rim trainer might be just for you. In the rim bicycle trainer, there is no contact between the rear wheel and the resistance device. The resistance device (typically a magnetic device) is attached to the bike via the rear rim. This unique device dramatically reduces the noise level, as well as the vibrations caused by the contact between your regular knobby rear tire and the resistance device. Another major advantage of the rim-drive bicycle indoor trainer is the fact that it avoids wearing the rear tire
Tip: Always consider your bike’s measurement while buying rim trainer
Rim Trainers are specifically designed for mountain bikes and they come in different shapes and sizes. The largest size in rim trainers is really very huge since it is designed for extremely rocky terrains and hilly areas.
Therefore, before buying you must record the actual measurements of your bike and make the comparison with the trainer’s dimensions to get the perfect fit.
The Structure of the Rim Trainer
Unlike most other bicycle indoor training stands, the rim bicycle training stands are connected via two small wheels directly to the bicycle rim, and not to the rear wheel. These two small wheels are driving a resistance device, typically a magnetic resistance unit.
Bicycle Rim Trainer Pros and Cons
- Ideal for mountain bikers - You don't need to replace your regular rear wheel tire with a slicker one (road bikes have slick tires anyhow).
- Eliminates tire wear - No direct contact with the tire rubber - no tire wear.
- Stability - Due to it's structure the rim bicycle indoor training stand is more stable.
- Low noise level - There is no direct contact with the bicycle tire, resulting quiet action.
- Reliable - No contact with the tire resulting more reliable trainer device.
- Complex setup - You have to be quite accurate in the setup process.
- Not fit for all bicycles - The rim trainer will not fit all bikes (such as small disk rims).
What to Look For in Rim Bicycle Trainer
When you are buying a rim bicycle trainer I would recommend to look for the following features
- Low sound level - Look for quite trainers. Try them out while you are in the shop.
- Several Resistance levels - Quality rim trainers comes with several resistance levels.
- Compatibility with all bike sizes - Make sure the rim trainer can hold your bicycle, as some trainers are limited in this respect.
- Stability - You should look for stable frame, It is most important to feel safe and stable while on the trainer.
- Easy setup - Some rim trainers are more easy to setup. Look for those.
Recommended Rim Trainers
It is very compact and portable making it great for race day s since there is no need to remove the bicycles tire to warm up. It is fully adjustable and can be used with mountain bikes too.
I would highly recommend this model to anyone looking for a way to train effectively during the off season or to just have around on those days when Mother Nature won't cooperate.
Buying a Rim Trainer Online
If you are interested in buying rim trainer online you can buy it in one of many trusted online stores, such as:
Buying Rim Bicycle Indoor Training Stands on eBay
Videos About The Rim Trainer
Take a look at this video about riding a rime trainer. It will give you quite a good idea about how this bicycle exercise stand feels: